RAILWAYS OF THE REGION


The first railway lines began to be constructed in Geraldton and the mid west in 1874.
The first government owned railway in Western Australia was constructed between Geraldton and Northampton,
initially to carry minerals to the port. The ‘first sod’ for that project was turned by Governor Weld in October 1874, assisted by the Minister for Lands, Mr Malcolm Fraser.
Geraldton’s first railway station, a single storey building, was opened in 1879, and a second storey was added many years later.

The building has since been used as a library, a museum and also as headquarters of the Geraldton Cultural Trust. The building still stands near the yacht club in marine terrace.
Thirteen years then elapsed before the rail network was extended to other parts of the region.
The original line was extended to Walkaway in 1887, to Mullewa in 1894, to Cue in 1898 and to Meekatharra and Sandstone in 1910.

A second line, privately owned by the Midland Railway Company of England, was constructed between Geraldton and Perth, via Wongan Hills, and opened in 1915.
The local terminal for that service was at Narngulu/Walkaway, from where government engines hauled the train into the Geraldton Station.
All but one of the lines in the region was closed over several years in the latter part of the 1990’s,
and the only one remaining is the government line between Geraldton and Perth.

Back To The Minatures of Mid West History