BLUFF POINT LIGHTHOUSE


Much to the sadness of local historians and the general public alike,
one of Geraldton’s earliest landmarks was gutted by fire in 1952.
It was the Bluff Point Lighthouse, which had been built in 1871.
Fortunately, the lighthouse cottage was spared and is now maintained and operated as a museum by the
Geraldton-Greenough Historical Society (Inc.).
The lighthouse was used to line up its light with another in the tower of the cottage,
in order to guide ships through the treacherous entrance to champion bay.
It is believed the first lighthouse keeper was Mr Wright, whose annual wage was, in today’s equivalent,
$20 - or less than 40c a week!

Back To The Minatures of Mid West History